UN aid workers and Yemeni officials on Sunday said the Houthi rebels had continued a week-long blockade of a district in Marib province.
They say the move hinders humanitarian aid and the movement of as many as 37,000 people in the region. The officials said the Houthi rebel group, which has support from Iran, had been steadily advancing in the Abdiya district, which is south of the city of Marib, in recent months. This forced the internationally recognized troops to retreat.
The Houthis are “committing genocide” in Abdiya by preventing the entry of food, medicine and other basic necessities, said the governor of Marib province Sheikh Sultan al-Aradah.
The attack in Abdiya was part of a Houthi effort to annex the government-held city of Marib. The rebels have been trying for years to take the city. They have intensified their attacks since last February.
Yemen has been in civil war since 2014, when the Houthis seized the capital, Sanaa, forcing President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and his internationally recognized government to flee south, and then flee to Saudi Arabia.
The war has spawned one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises. (vm/rs)