Norwegian police on Thursday (14/10), said the attack using a bow and arrow that claimed the lives of five people in the city of Kongsberg appeared to be an act of terror.
At a news conference, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud told reporters that the attack was carried out by a 37-year-old Danish convert who became known to local police for fear he had been “radicalized.”
Authorities said the Kongsberg resident, whose name has not been released and acting alone, admitted to carrying out the attack and was cooperating with police, but he had not yet entered a defence.
Norway’s domestic security agency said an investigation would clarify in more detail what motivated the incident.
The attack took place Wednesday in a “wide area” of the city of 26,000 people in southeastern Norway, nearly 70 kilometers outside the capital, Oslo. Police said two other people were injured, including an off-duty police officer. The suspect was arrested about half an hour after starting the attack.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a tweet that he was “shocked and saddened” by the news and that his thoughts were “with the loved ones of the victims and all Norwegians at this very difficult time.”
The incident was the worst attack in Norway since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers. at youth camp. [lt/jm]