A man armed with a bow and arrow carried out an attack that killed five people and injured two on Wednesday in southeastern Norway, police said, adding that they had arrested the suspect.
“Unfortunately we can confirm that five people were killed and two injured in this incident,” local police officer Oyvind Aas told a news conference. The suspect “has been arrested and, according to the information we have, there is only one person involved,” he added.
The motive for the attacks, which took place in several locations in Kongsberg, a city of about 26,000 people, at around 18:30 local time was not yet known.
Police said the suspect had been taken to a police station in the nearby town of Drammen, but gave no other details about the man. “There is no search for other suspects,” Aas said.
TV2 station reported that the man was also carrying a knife or other weapon.
The injured have been taken to hospital. However, police have not announced how many people were injured or provided any details about their condition.
Police urged the public to stay at home, and several neighborhoods were closed, and television footage showed ambulances and armed police on guard in the area.
Helicopters and a team of bombers were also deployed to the scene. (lt/ka)