The Biden administration confirmed Friday that a makeshift camp along the US-Mexico border is empty, after being abandoned by 15,000 desperate Haitian migrants.”
“As of this morning, there are no more (Haitian) migrants in the camp,” US Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) Alejandro Mayorkas said at a White House briefing.
Mayorkas spoke hours after President Joe Biden said he took full responsibility for an incident earlier this week in which US Border Patrol agents on horseback confronted migrants violently.
Biden said the incident was horrific to see the migrants “roughly treated.” He added, “Of course, I am responsible. I’m the president.” Biden also stressed that there would be an investigation and consequences for Border Patrol officers whose actions drew widespread condemnation.
“It’s a shame. But beyond shame, it’s dangerous. It sends the wrong message to the world … This is not us at all,” he said.
The president’s comments came over the weekend, plunging the government into a crisis of U.S. treatment of Haitians gathered in the border town of Del Rio, Texas. [ps/pp]