Japanese Foreign Minister Trying to Allay Concerns About Food Products from Fukushima

  • Share

Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said on Tuesday (3/8), the government used the Olympics to show the world that food products from the Fukushima region, which was hit by a nuclear disaster, were safe to eat.

The statement was issued in response to reports that the supply of South Korean athletes’ lunch boxes came from outside the Athletes Village, fueling the perception that food from Fukushima was dangerous.

Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi. (REUTERS/Issei Kato)

More than a decade ago the area was hit by a massive earthquake and tsunami that devastated northeastern Japan and destroyed part of its nuclear power plant.

Since then, a number of projects have been carried out to rebuild the area.

Japan itself labels the Tokyo Olympics as the “Recovery and Reconstruction Sports Festival” because it gives Japan a chance to show the world how far development has come to restore Fukushima. One of the steps taken by Japan is to start the Olympic torch relay from the region.

“I want to take this opportunity to show the world how safe agricultural and fishery products are in the affected areas,” said Motegi.

“I have conveyed the Japanese government’s position to South Korea,” he added. [ab/uh]

  • Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *